Statutory History of NWSC
While going back to history, the populations of Kathmandu Valley were not high, so, government was not too much concern about providing drinking water supply to the people in Kathmandu Valley. During that period, people used to take water from the available natural sources near their homes. However, because of population growth due to both natural growth and in-migration from other districts, the existing available resources were not enough to feed the people and thus, government realized to provide drinking water for the people in the Kathmandu valley and thus established a systematic development of water supply system with the name PANI ADDA (PANI GOSWARA) unit in 2029 BS. The organization has been restructured from time to time in order to provide the better service delivery to the customer. Following were the statutory development records of this organization..
- PANI ADDA or PANI GOSWARA until 2029 BS (May 1973 AD)
- WATER SUPPLY & SEWERAGE BOARD 2029 BS (July 1973 AD)
- (Under the Development Board Act, 1957)
- WATER SUPPLY & SEWERAGE CORPORATION, 2041 BS ( July 1985 AD)
- (Under the Corporation Act, 1965)
- NEPAL WATER SUPPLY CORPORATION , 2046 BS (February 1990 AD)
- (Under Nepal Water Supply Corporation Act, 1990)
Service district of NWSC were marked with red point marks in the map of Nepal below.